In 1984 the Masterton Municipal Band came to the council with plans f
or a new bandroom. Its old rooms, built in late 1906, were in po or repair and unsatisfact orily f or its requirements. The band consulted Colin Pugh, who thought a site on Park Avenue, just west of the superintendent’s house, would be most appropriate. He suggested an octagonal building, reflecting the shape of the nearby fernery and band rotunda. The foundations f or the new bandrooms were laid in late 1984, and the building erected largely by volunteer labour. It was opened om March 15 1986.