As well as the usual string of n
orth-westerly st orms damaging trees and tumbling branches to the ground, the summer of 1987-88 was noted f or the frequency of its thunderst orms. During one of these st orms a very large redwood was split asunder. It was obvious the tree was a danger and would have to be felled. When the fellers counted the rings they realised it was one of McCardle’s original plantings of 1878. Councill or John McDonald was keen to utilise the timber from the tree within the park but found it was not very useful f or construction w ork. He persuaded the council to erect a shelter over the stump, with shingles cut from redwood, with the walls on the shelter – called a dendrochronology from the Greek w ords f or tree (dendron) time (chronos) and study (ology) –covered with inf ormation on the park and district’s hist ory. The shelter was built in 1991.