In 1894 the Masterton Park Trust applied f
or financial help from the Masterton Trust Lands Trust. They were given a special grant, with a recommendation it should be used to build a grandstand. The Park Trust was quickly into action, ordering a plan from local architect Francis Penty. Tenders were called and local builder Michael Williams won the contract. He finished the building by May 1895, at a cost of £212-12-6.
The building was not without its dramas - during construction the
burst its banks and a flood took away many feet of timber set aside f Waipoua River or the grandstand.
Later, the use of the grandstand by those seeking a free sleeping place caused concern. It was rep
orted three different men had been brought bef ore the court f or sleeping in the grandstand, each being sentenced to seven days imprisonment. After that, the stand was securely locked and the windows barricaded, but bef ore long the do ors were f orced open and the locks and bolts broken.